This blog is where you will find community council information, including meeting times, minutes and agenda. Do please comment on postings.

Thursday, 26 September 2019

MSCC Minutes June 2019

mscc_logo_crop.jpgMarchmont & Sciennes
Community Council

Meeting on Wed 26th June 2019 at 7:30pm
St Catherine's Argyle Church Halls, Beaufort Road
Minutes of Marchmont & Sciennes Community Council
Meeting of Wed 26 June 2019 at St Catherine’s Argyle Church Halls, 
Beaufort Road
Present:  – Stuart Irvin (St. Catherine’s Argyle), Sophia Coyne (Minutes Secretary), Brian Gilmore (Chair), Ann Laing (MSCC), Catherine Jenner, Shane Voss (MSCC), David Scott (Police Scotland), Euan Mackay (Police Scotland), Nigel Ayton (Grange Association), Cllr. Ian Berry, Alison Service (MSCC) 
Apologies:– Cllr. Mandy Watt, Ian Murray MP, Susie Agnew (MSCC)
Matters arising:
Draft minutes from May have been circulated and amended. Minutes approved. No outstanding actions from May. 

Police Report: 
Officers David Scott and Euan Mackay gave the report. 
Police officers have been conducting patrols of Nicholson Square and the surrounding areas.  There has been alcohol and drug misuse in these neighborhoods. Stair checks have been performed as there are certain tenancies linked to anti-social behavior.  There have been community meetings with residents who are concerned about antisocial behaviour from youth, some of who live in the area.  A former Nicholson Square resident is trying to work with the council on the issues.  House break-ins were reported in the  Southside of Edinburgh and local officers have been working with the University with regard to issues of rough sleeping and drink and drug misuse.  Surgeries are also addressing alcohol and drug abuse issues for this area, particularly with regard to young people, who tend to populate the area.  
Matters arising:
Mike Shields is on holiday. 
FOMBL (Friends of the Meadows & Bruntsfield Links) report see below.  
Meadows & Bruntsfield Links
City Councilor report on topical local issues: 
It is observed that the instances of antisocial behavior reported in Nicholson Square and the surrounding area pose no direct threat presently. There was concern expressed about displacement into the Meadows where substance abusers could congregate.   
It is a difficult issue to tackle.  Discussion concerning possible remedies with job placement for the individuals involved, assistance with rehabilitation from substance abuse, increased housing for those without shelter.  
Other issues discussed include fly-tipping or illegal dumping of rubbish, and the intrusion of hedges onto the pavement area. Private hedges need to be measured particularly and they cannot protrude onto the sidewalk beyond what the allowed measurement. However, overgrown hedges can be reported to the council and they will prune it for a small fee. Brian will pass this one to a resident who had an inquiry about this. 
Election of Secretary: (repeat)
Items for discussion: 
Royal Hospital for Sick Children Redevelopment:
Move set to commence between the 5th and the 15th of July. Developments to begin soon. 
Astley Ainslie Hospital Redevelopment: update 
There was a helpful note passed around to those in the engagement list. 
There was a meeting on the 27th of May, NHS Lothian, Community Council, and AA Community Trust.  The good news is that there was more engagement.  The council gave an undertaking.  A planning committee meeting is scheduled for 2nd October. 
The Grange Association will have another meeting with them in early July when the draft gets the seal of approval.  
Planning (Applications & consultations):
An email was circulated by the Grange Association. There were no applications discussed.  
Items for Information: 

Treasurer's report: 
£515 in the bank.  There has been very little activity.  
There will be a new auditor as of March next year - the name of the auditor is announced.  
There was discussion concerning the Meadow’s Festival Association donation. 
Meetings attended: 
City Vision – Focus Group Report: 
Nigel Ayton attended this meeting and reported. 
 There was discussion concerning rubbish collection, street development, need for housing law, and tourist taxes. Further discussion concerning funds raised at the Meadows Festival for the benefit of Edinburgh residents. 
South East Locality – Planning Partnership Representative and other Neighbourhood networks as mentioned in the prior meetings.  
Two items have been circulated with requests for involvement in upcoming elections/meetings – Tim Pogson (from Newington side), there have been no nominations for Morningside yet, Brian has been nominated to vote on behalf of the community council. 
Short term letting – so many in the tenement areas (does not affect the Grange and Marchmont).  Key safes outside demonstrate that short term letting is happening in the places nearby. There was discussion concerning an EU Court case involving the stipulation that the short-term lessor is merely an internet service provider and not a letting agency.    
There was discussion concerning the debate in Scottish Government on zoning policy, restriction/curtailment of the number of flats.  Also, the Scottish government is consulting a survey on short term letting. Alison will provide the link for the survey, and Brian will put the link on the full mailing list. 
With respect to Lee Ann who had operated Marchmont Hardware, sadly, her partner passed away.  Alison will send a card on behalf of the Community council.  
As concerns the planters on Marchmont crescent at the bottom, PTA (Gillespie’s) - everyone is keen to see something done with the planters.  Perhaps it is worth putting a notice up, some soil and some plants, planters are becoming full of rubbish, cigarettes, and beer containers etc.
Reminder that the election for the community council is coming up in September, the papers are not out to apply until the 9th of September. 
Date of next meeting: 

25 of September 2019.   

The meeting closes at 8:17 PM.

No comments: