This blog is where you will find community council information, including meeting times, minutes and agenda. Do please comment on postings.

Monday, 25 June 2007

City of Edinburgh Council and Community Councils Joint Meeting

TO: COMMUNITY COUNCIL SECRETARIES

22 June 2007

Dear Secretary

Community Council Joint Meeting

I enclose the minute from the community council joint meeting on 25 April which focused on neighbourhood partnerships. The meeting attracted a high level of interest from community councils and generated some lively discussion on the new arrangements for neighbourhood partnerships. A copy of the minute is also available on the community council site at www.edinburgh.gov.uk/communitycouncils.

Neighbourhood Partnership Membership
Thank you for submitting your nominations for the Neighbourhood Partnerships. In most cases it has been possible for preferences to be accommodated whilst meeting the constitutional requirement for community councillors and community representatives to be equal in number on a neighbourhood partnership.

In areas where community councils have sought membership of 2 neighbourhood partnerships this can be accommodated on an interim basis, provided there are sufficient places available. However this will be subject to review in the event of new community councils being established. Priority will always be given to community councils whose boundary sits fully within the Neighbourhood Partnership area.

I have enclosed a table showing the current position regarding community council representation on neighbourhood partnerships and the contact details of the 6 neighbourhood teams.

Edinburgh Association of Community Councils AGM – 30 June

The EACC AGM will take place on Saturday 30 June at 10 am in the City Chambers. There will be a presentation at the AGM from the Edinburgh University students who took part in a study of Edinburgh’s community councils.

Diary Inserts

I have enclosed diary inserts for the period September to December 2007.

Yours sincerely


Eileen Hewitt

Community Council Liaison Officer

Tel 469 3838


COMMUNITY COUNCIL REPRESENTATION ON NEIGHBOURHOOD PARTNERSHIPS



Neighbourhood

Partnership

No of Cllrs

No of CCs

Watching brief

1

City Centre

3

3 (Old Town, West End, New Town/Broughton)

1 (Tollcross)

2

Craigentinny/Duddingston

3

2 (Craigentinny/Meadowbank, Northfield/Willowbrae)


3

Portobello/Craigmillar

3

2 (Portobello, Craigmillar)


4

Liberton/Gilmerton

4

1 (Liberton)


5

Southside/Newington

8

5 (Marchmont & Sciennes, Merchiston, Tollcross, Morningside, Southside)


6

Sighthill/Gorgie;Fountainbridge/Craiglockhart

7

6 (Hutchison/Chesser, Stenhouse, Gorgie/Dalry, Craiglockhart, Longstone, Merchiston) Sighthill, Broomhouse & Parkhead tbc

1 (Tollcross)

7

Pentland Hills; Colinton/Fairmilehead

6

6 (Currie, Balerno, Fairmilehead, Longstone, Firrhill, Ratho)


8

Drum Brae/Gyle; Corstorphine/Murrayfield (West)

6

3 (Corstorphine, Drumbrae, Murrayfield)

1 (West End)

9

Almond

3

To be confirmed

1 (Corstorphine)

10

Forth

4

4 (Royston/Wardieburn, Muirhhouse/Salvesen, West Pilton/West Granton, Trinity)

1 (Drylaw Telford)

11

Inverleith

4

2 (Stockbridge/Inverleith, Drylaw/Telford)

2 (New Town/ Broughton &

West End)

12

Leith; Leith Walk

7

3 (Leith Harbour & Newhaven, Leith Central, Leith Links)

1 (New Town /Broughton)

Neighbourhood Partnership Teams – June 2007

Central Team

Jenni Brown – Neighbourhood Manager

1 Cockburn Street

Edinburgh EH1 1BJ

0131 529 7061

centralteam@edinburgh.gov.uk

North Team

Pete Strong – Neighbourhood Manager

8 West Pilton Gardens

Edinburgh EH4 4DP

0131 529 5050

northteam@edinburgh.gov.uk

East Team

Susan Mooney – Neighbourhood Manager

86 Niddrie Mains Road

Edinburgh EH16 4DT

0131 529 3111

eastteam@edinburgh.gov.uk

South Team

Susan Bruce – Neighbourhood Manager

40 Captain’s Road

Edinburgh EH17 8QF

0131 529 5151

southteam@edinburgh.gov.uk

South West Team

Graham Kitching – Neighbourhood Manager

10 Westside Plaza

Edinburgh EH14 2ET

0131 527 3800

southwestteam@edinburgh.gov.uk

West Team

Natalie Hoy – Neighbourhood Manager

Chesser House

500 Gorgie Road

Edinburgh EH11 3YJ

0131 529 7440

westteam@edinburgh.gov.uk



City of Edinburgh Council and Community Councils Joint Meeting


Edinburgh, 25 April 2007
Large Meeting Room, Waverley Court, Edinburgh

Those Present:

The City of Edinburgh Council: Councillor Ewan Aitken, Leader of the Council

Officers in Attendance from Services for Communties :

Angela Leitch (Head of Performance and Community Engagement); Gordon Greenhill (Head of Community Safety); Susan Mooney, (Neighbourhood Manager, East and South); Peter Strong (Neighbourhood Manager – North) Graham Kitching / Natalie Hoy (Neighbourhood Managers- West and South West); Michele Mulvaney (Community Engagement Manager) Mary Dunbar (Partnership and Information Manager – East) Beverley Burgess (West LDC Co-ordinator) Eileen Hewitt (Community Council Liaison & Development Officer) and Alasdair Fuller (Administrative Assistant, Services for Communities).

Community Council Representatives:

Community Council

Delegates

Ken Shade

Balerno

Robert Dearness

Corstorphine

Sheila Ramsay

Corstorphine

Kenneth Swinney

Corstorphine

Giacomo Modica

Craigentinny/Meadowbank

Bob Ramsay

Craigentinny/Meadowbank

Angela Wright

Craigentinny/Meadowbank

Tom Crombie

Craiglockhart

Percy Fekety

Cramond

Ross Wilkinson

Cramond

Patricia Eason

Cramond

Dave Pickering

Drylaw/Telford

Norman Tinlin

Fairmilehead

Louise Maguire

Fairmilehead

Peggy Wright

Firrhill

Maureen Nisbet

Gorgie/Dalry

Fiona McLean

Gorgie/Dalry

Gerry Corbett

Gorgie/Dalry

Hugh Townsend

Gorgie/Dalry

Mary Donoghue

Hutchison/Chesser

Harry Sutherland

Hutchison/Chesser

Irene Mackay

Hutchison/Chesser

Alex Mitchell

Hutchison/Chesser

Steve Lee

Kirkliston

Joe Henderson

Kirkliston

Roland Reid

Leith Central

Roisin Farrington

Leith Central

Elaine Carnegie

Leith Harbour & Newhaven

Margaret Moffet

Leith Links

Bill McCrae

Leith Links

David Hurst

Liberton

Steuart Campbell

Longstone

Alex Paton

Longstone

Dorothy Ryle

Marchmont & Sciennes

John Simon

Marchmont & Sciennes

Hugh Leather

Marchmont & Sciennes

Bridget Stevens

Merchiston

Ann Royden

Merchiston

Robin Morris

Merchiston

Walter Spence

Murrayfield

Mr Morrison

Murrayfield

Susan Wong

Morningside

Jean Thompson

Morningside

Lindsay Walls

Morningside

John Knight

New Town & Broughton

Stewart Kerr

Northfield/Willowbrae

Ian Murray

Northfield/Willowbrae

Christine Kerr

Northfield/Willowbrae

Keith Giblett

Queensferry & District

Jimmy Brown

Queensferry & District

Martin Gallacher

Queensferry & District

Judy Wightman

Ratho

Jan Couper

Ratho

Marion Gunn

Royston/Wardieburn

Jo Scott

Southside

Robert Beaton

Southside

Colin Christison

Southside

Linda Hendry

Southside

Jack Blakey

Stenhouse

Mrs Blakey

Stenhouse

Edward Mulligan

Stenhouse

David Rintoul

Tollcross

Mary Neilson

Tollcross

Ann Wigglesworth

Tollcross

Alyson Cameron

Trinity

Leonora McAndrew

West End

John Gilmour

West End


1

Welcome and Introduction:



Councillor Aitken welcomed the community council delegates to the joint meeting, expressing gratitude for their efforts in their role as grass roots community representatives.



He explained that the arrangements for Neighbourhood Partnerships offer a different way of working. There was a need to ensure that the drive for local improvements was directed primarily from the community councils which had to represent a breadth of local views. No community is the same and the city contained a rich diversity of neighbourhoods which present a challenge in terms of representation.



Neighbourhood partnerships will bring a revolutionary change in the way decisions are made. People wanted to have a say in decisions which impact locally, and the Partnerships would bring about a sense of participation. Because we are entering a period of significant change, it may take some time for outcomes to become apparent. The process for improvement could be characterised by innovation and careful experimentation rather than following familiar paths. The range of areas across the city meant a need to react differently in contrasting circumstances. Neighbourhood structures would evolve in time to reflect local need, rather than follow a prescribed model.




Councillor Aitken viewed this as an exciting time of change. In thanking the community council representatives for attending, he praised their efforts in bringing forth the neighbourhood partnerships to this stage.


2

Services for Communities: Update on Latest Community Planning Developments



Angela Leitch thanked Councillor Aitken for his encouraging words and provided an update on the latest community planning developments.


2.1

Council Decision 8 March 2007


Council approval on 8 March means that arrangements for the neighbourhood partnerships can be introduced from June. This has also been referred to and agreed by the Edinburgh Partnership. Reference groups have been meeting with community council involvement. An induction programme is currently being developed to ensure that members of the Neighbourhood Partnership Board are familiar with the new neighbourhood partnership arrangements and how they will operate.


2.2

Constitution


A standard constitution for Neighbourhood Partnerships has been established after consultation and consideration of a number of options. Partnerships will have an equal number of community councillors and city councillors and serve as advisory committees of the Council. In practice, it is anticipated that a consensual approach will be pursued.



Current legislation restrictions on developing the options for setting representation on the neighbourhood partnerships is being explored with the Scottish Executive.


2.3

Protocol Framework


A protocol framework for achieving the constitutional aims has been developed which focuses on a partnership approach to working together to develop and improve local quality of life.


2.4

Neighbourhood Management


Angela introduced the following new Neighbourhood Managers, who were present at the meeting.


  • Susan Mooney - East and South

  • Peter Strong - North

  • Natalie Hoy and Graham Kitching would both be responsible for West and South West.



Two appointments are still to be made. Each of these senior managers will have have four managers overseeing multi-disciplinary local teams under the following headings:


  • community safety

  • environment

  • housing and regeneration

  • partnership and information management.



Neighbourhood Managers would be instrumental in developing better ways for partners to work together.


2.5

Area Profiles


Area profiles have been produced, which will provide partnership members with evidence to support the identification of local priorities. While community councillors already have a good understanding of issues in their locality, neighbourhood partnerships will have a key role in consulting with the wider population to agree these priorities.



2.6

Frequently Asked Questions


In areas where there were no community councils, the neighbourhood partnerships could elect from other constituted community organisations. Moreover, the neighbourhood partnership could empower local people in unrepresented areas to work towards forming a community council.



The intention is to ensure that each community council has a place on a neighbourhood partnership. In an area where the number of community councils exceeds the available board membership there will always be avenues of input through the existing community councils on the Neighbourhood Partnership as they have a duty to engage with the wider community. It is important to bear in mind the optimal size of the board so that it does not become unmanageable.



Staff from the Council’s Services for Communities will support the partnerships but the remit of the neighbourhood partnerships will also be to look at priorities in other areas including education, health and crime.


Additional support for community councils is being explored eg the creation of a local base for community councils, with access to a full range of office facilities. Drop in sessions and surgeries were being considered within local area offices. An initial Community Engagement Fund providing £20k for community councils exclusively is being proposed.


3.




Questions


Delegates raised the following issues:

Q


Why do Community Councils have to sign the Code of Conduct and does this also apply to the police, health and voluntary sector representatives?

A

Angela explained that the standards for conduct aimed to ensure that decisions were made in a transparent and open manner. The police, health and voluntary sector have standards of conduct within their respective orgnaisations which they will be expected to follow.

Q

Who will be entitled to vote within Neighbourhood Partnerships?

A

All members of the Neighbourhood Partnership will have the right to vote although it is hoped decisions will be reached by agreement.

Q

What are the interim arrangements for the LDC Community Grants Fund?

A

Angela confirmed that arrangements for the provision for imminent projects have been made and gave assurances that urgent applications would be considered as a priority.




4.

Workshops and Feedback


The delegates were invited to participate in workshops according to area. Questions were considered as follows:



  • What is the community council’s role within the partnership?


  • How do community councils ensure representation of the wider community?


  • What are the priorities for the neighbourhood partnership?


Feedback from the groups is provided in the appendix to this minute.


5.

Closing Discussion


Angela observed that there had been a lot of good discussion and important points made at the workshops.



Council officers would now consider the points and issues raised in the workshop sessions and feedback to the Neighbourhood Partnership Induction Programme.



Angela clarified that Neighbourhood Partnerships will be chaired by a Councillor. Work was currently underway to elect a local representative from the voluntary sector to sit on each neighbourhood partnership.


It is planned to carry out a 6 month review of Neighbourhood Partnerships.



Many community councillors felt that representations to the statutory planning and licensing committee were being ignored. It was suggested that Edinburgh Association of Community Councils could use its influence to increase community council input to the statutory planning and licensing procedures.



Community councils have been asked to nominate a member and substitute(s) to represent the community on a Neighbourhood Partnership. Guidance on the process has been issued by Eileen Hewitt, Community Council Liaison Officer and forms should be returned to her by the end of May. Nominees do not have to be CC office-bearers although the community council may opt to use this as a means of selection.


6.

Closing Remarks


Angela thanked delegates for their contributions which would be addressed in detail and progress fed back to the community councils.


Appendix


FEEDBACK FROM WORKSHOPS


WORKSHOP 1 – SOUTH/EAST


Facilitator - Susan Mooney, Neighbourhood Manager, East

Scribe - Mary Dunbar, Partnership & Information Manager, East


Some members of the group are still unclear about the differential /reasons for 12 NPs and 6 CPAs. A brief outline was provided to help clarify the arrangements.


What’s the role of Community Councils?

  • To tell it how it is

  • Like to focus on issues – e.g development of NPs

  • CC doing their best to engage communities – accept that it is a requirement


What are CC concerns?

  • Need a community capacity worker in NP areas to audit groups, to build links and provide support

  • Should come from within the CEC

  • CCs like the idea of local premises

  • Need CC websites and NP websites and other options

  • Public need information on NP – leaflets etc

  • Some people have not heard of community councils

  • Group felt that local Newsletters were a good and effective mechanism for spreading information

  • Questions about why anyone would go to NP rather than just the local Councillor? This was discussed and agreed that individual issues might be best managed via councillor, but that NP was a ‘problem solving approach’ for issues impacting on the wider community. NP will focus on the needs of the wider population

  • Need to fund appropriately

  • Concerns about greater use of computers for sharing information in terms of security

  • Questions about the opening hours for accessing resources – many community council members work during office hours

  • Marchmont/Sciennes - Time required to participate on NP? Need guesstimate

  • Questions about if nominees don’t agree to sign Code of Conduct? There was some general discussion about reasons for having code, but some concerns continue

  • Susan stressed that NP must focus on key elements to be effective

  • Developing expectation of the role of community councils - What does this mean for community council members and what is the shared responsibility with NP?

  • Question re: circulation of NP Papers – Will papers only be issued to NP rep or to all community council members within a timescale for the community council to discuss for rep on Board to input views etc?

  • Are NP meeting open to the public? – NP will decide, the NP reference groups are being asked for their views. The whole group from south and east at this joint community council meeting wanted open meetings

  • Question - Induction Are substitute members to undertake induction – Yes


The groups 3 main issues:

    1. Major concerns from community council on the boundary and split between NPs – No real voice.

    2. Group felt that during review period NPs should start with all community councils who wish to participate in each NP.

    3. Group felt that there were no ‘more representative groups’ than the community councils.


WORKSHOP TWO – NORTH


Facilitator - Peter Strong, Neighbourhood Manager, North

Scribe - Michele Mulvaney, Community Engagement Manager


  • Boundary remains an issue, particularly in relation to the inclusion of Trinity within the Forth NP.

  • Acknowledge that each NP will have different priorities and starting points. Leith has well established priorities and there is a need to ensure these are taken into account (e.g. Communities that Care). Forth has well established structures. Inverleith is diverse, has a lack of existing structures and patchy CC coverage.

  • Role of CCs is to represent views of wider community.

  • Each NP takes in diverse communities resulting in issues about how to find common ground and ensuring needs of each are met.

  • CCs tend to be reactive rather than proactive due to existing pressures in terms of volume of activity. Key issue for CCs is having time and representatives to carry out work given members have other commitments.

  • Disappointment that Neighbourhood Manager will be responsible for more than one NP. Issue about how conflicting demands of NPs will be dealt with and who will decide the priorities across the CPA particularly given there are no new resources available.


WORKShOP THREE – WEST


Facilitator – Natalie Hoy, Neighbourhood Manager West & South West

Scribe – Beverely Burgess, West LDC Co-ordinator


General points raised

  • Neighbourhood Managers should provide more ‘clout’ for area

  • Neighbourhood Managers should attend community council meetings

  • Neighbourhood Managers and Area Managers should be well known, visible and accessible

  • Officials should be clear about whether or not they can deal with an issue

and explain the reasons behind their answer

  • Need to manage expectations

  • Need to be fair across the area

  • Not helpful to have a ‘bun fight’ over money

  • Need for transparency re where money is spent

  • CEC has poor knowledge of area in some cases – need for improved local knowledge

  • Need for open discussions

  • Cramond – walkabouts with officials had proved useful

  • Need to build relationships

  • Ratho CC requesting representation on both Neighbourhood Partnerships

  • Need to ensure that all areas of the community are represented

  • Much will need to be done outwith the NP – thematic/geographic working groups etc

  • Need for standard processes for service delivery

  • Consistency of performance reporting is vital

  • Need to agree what should be reported on and in what format

  • Council should advise on what is possible re reporting format and build up agreement on what is suitable

  • Relationship between NP and health is crucial


Workshop 4 South West


Facilitator Graham Kitching – Neighbourhood Manager West/South West

Scribe – Eileen Hewitt, Community Council Liaison & Development Officer


Graham Kitching explained that the key task for Neighbourhood Partnerships is to ensure organisations work together to:

  • improve the quality of life

  • provide effective and co-ordinated services

  • target service provision


Participants in the group expressed the view that community councils should be members of all Neighbourhood Partnerships covering their area. There was a request for clear maps showing how the CC boundaries relate to the neighbourhood partnership boundaries and concern that neighbourhood partnership areas are too big.


Gordon Greenhill, Head of Service for West/South West joined the group and outlined the following benefits that NPs can bring:


  • A fund for each neighbourhood

  • Staff team working to improve the local area

  • Community will help to set the agenda for the Neighbourhood Partnerships

  • Neighbourhood Partnerships will give community councils the opportunity to say how they want services to be delivered locally


It was noted that the Local Development Committees have been a useful source of contact for CCs and a list of contacts for the new NP arrangements would be helpful.


There was some concern that if NP meetings are not public meetings then this may lead to people feeling excluded. One member of the group suggested that at the first meeting of the NP, the community council rep as well as any substitutes should be invited to attend.


Thursday, 21 June 2007

Chair's Report 2007

MARCHMONT AND SCIENNES COMMUNITY COUNCIL – 20 June 2007

Last year I started my Report by saying this was my third and final year as Chair – but never say never since here I am again – albeit as Acting Chair – due entirely to the success in this year’s Council elections of Cameron Rose. So although I think we have had a year of considerable progress I cannot take the credit

We started the year with an election and a record number of nominations so that we filled our 14 elected positions and 7 nominated positions with ease. Our Office Bearers changed entirely. This was a healthy sign. New members and new office bearers bring new energy and broaden the horizons of any organisation and especially so with a voluntary one such as this.
The new Committee has worked hard and I think that they deserve our thanks. Cameron tackled the task of chair with energy and commitment. Melanie organized our accounts and had the very difficult task of investigating and sourcing funds for a grant for Notice Boards and improvements to the area at the foot of Marchmont Crescent. First Tina and then Hugh took on the difficult job of secretary advertising our meetings. A big step forward was Hugh’s contribution of a Blogspot for the Community Council at a time when our previous attempt at a web presence on My Edinburgh was disappearing with the folding of that website. Unfortunately we also lost two important members. We remember with affection Ron Beasley who died in December. He made a valuable long term contribution to the Community Council and was very supportive and appreciative of the efforts of others. He is sadly missed. Gerry Mulligan was a newly elected member was forced to resign because of a serious health problem. You will be pleased to know that he is making good progress and indeed you can follow his return to health on gerryscancerdiary@blogspot.com which makes for inspirational reading. We look forward to welcoming him back when he has fully recovered. Tina also had to resign because of work commitments. Other members however joined us during the year. The problems with the extension of parking zones brought us Hugh and others. Cherry joined us to represent Safer Routes to School and then was of considerable assistance in organising the Christmas Tree Lighting event.

Our main focus this year was dealing with the fallout from the implementation of the extension of the Parking Zones. The implementation caused problems for residents and a great deal of effort was put into diagnosing what the problems were, meeting with the Council to explain the problems and providing possible solutions. For this we should thank Hugh and Cameron who were most involved in sorting out what was a difficult problem and for positively influencing the final outcome. The traders too had difficulties with this and with Monica we were able to add support to their campaign to ensure that we as users of the shops and other customers have places to park and that the scheme took into account the traders need to have vehicles parked nearby. It was a campaign that was difficult and prolonged but the effort put in did result in the Council amending their initial proposals. Although the outcome was not wholly satisfactory great strides were made which rewarded the effort put in.

Our grant application to erect three Community Council Notice Boards throughout the area, provide benches and planters is being considered and likely to be approved. This involved a lot of hard work by Melanie in getting estimates for the benches, boards and planters and researching where they were best placed as well as the complications of applying for a grant. As an adjunct to this we were given a presentation in our March meeting of proposed street landscape improvements in the shopping area around Argyll Place Roseneath Terrace. We have now been advised that Council funding has been obtained for this and a consultation on these improvements will be taking place in July. It is important that individuals and traders have input into these proposals. While we welcome the funding for improvements it is important that we influence what these are. We all want to see enhancements that encourage shopping and support the traders. Without input this might not happen.

Our members have represented us well at the Traffic Forum, kept us abreast of developments at Quartermile, brought to our attention the possible selling off of the Sick Childrens’s Hospital site and the need for more room at Sciennes Primary School. Members of the MSCC are meeting with neighbouring Community Councils in investigating the possible revival of the Meadows Festival. We have had several updates on the James Gillespie Oral History project, a talk on the People against Litter Campaign and ASBOs.

We also had a very successful Tree Lighting Ceremony organised by Ken Cherry and Tina. This was a real community event with participation from the Schools. It has become an important way of bringing all members of the community together and is looked forward to by both old and young. It was particularly pleasing to have performances by school groups.

I cannot finish without mentioning the excellent work done by Bruce Burt our community policeman who keeps us informed of what is going on and keeps the neighbourhood well policed. He has become a well known figure in the area and his approachable easy style of policing is very welcome. We greatly appreciate his regular attendance at our meetings and the way he listens to and acts on our concerns.
.
We are heading into a new era with our multi member constituencies and the Neighbourhood Partnerships. This should give us more representation but this will not happen without involvement from all members of the community. Our aim for this year must be to expand attendance at our meetings so that we can become truly representative of all sections of the community. That cannot be done without involvement from you all so I hope that you can assist in making some contribution over the coming year. The more people who are willing to take on responsibility for a particular area the more impact we can have on our community life. I would urge you to stand for office or at least take responsibility for one of the areas of interest. New blood and new ideas are welcome and essential if we are to evolve. Stay and join us for a drink at the end of the evening. A community is only as good as the people who support it. You have all contributed to the success this year and I thank you for your support.


Anne Laird
Chair
Marchmont and Sciennes Community Council
20 June 2007

Wednesday, 20 June 2007

Neighbourhood Partnership Agenda for First Meeting

Edinburgh Partnership

South/Central Neighbourhood Partnership

Inaugural Business Meeting

27 June 2007

7.00pm – 9.00pm

Robertson Suite

Eric Liddell Centre

15 Morningside Road, Edinburgh, EH10 4DP

Agenda

  1. Welcome and Introductions

  1. Apologies

  1. Neighbourhood Partnership Membership

  1. Consider name of the Neighbourhood Partnership – to be agreed an inaugural NP meeting

  1. Constitution and Protocol framework

  1. NP – operational business arrangements

  • Frequency of meetings

  • Time and venue for meetings

  • Public sessions

  • Clerking of meetings / circulation of papers

  • Business meetings / executive arrangements

  1. Proposals for nomination for convenor of NP – to be agreed at inaugural NP meeting

  1. Setting priorities and forward planning

  1. NP support and development events

  1. AOCB

  1. Dates of inaugural NP and future meetings

Monday, 18 June 2007

Private Housing Strategy Consultation

Local People Leading updates

Just a note to keep you updated about Local People Leading progress.

We have introduced a new page on the Local People Leading website called
\"Hot Topics\" that will provide more of a focus in terms of a response to
current issues in the changing political landscape.

On the Hot Topics page we will be publishing viewpoints from some of LPL\'s
key stakeholders. We have started the ball rolling with a topical article
from Laurence Demarco from Senscot (www.senscot.net).

And here it is. Hot Topics
-http://www.localpeopleleading.co.uk/front%20page/the%20community%20agenda/h
ottopics/hottopics.html

I would also like to thank all the organisations and individuals that have
registered their support for LPL in recent weeks. Numbers of supporters are
continuing to grow (in particular organisations)

Some supporting organisations have placed the LPL logo (with a link through
to the LPL website) on the front page of their website.
For example, DTA Scotland http://www.dtascot.org.uk/

This is helping us to attract traffic to the LPL website. If your
organisation would consider following suit it would be very useful in
spreading the word about Local People Leading.
Please let me know if you would like to do this and I will send you the LPL
logo.

Many thanks for your ongoing support.

Best Regards

Di Jennings
Campaign Co-ordinator
Local People Leading Campaign

Email: di@localpeopleleading.net
Phone: 01312202456
Mobile: 07933389307

Agenda for MSCC Meeting on 20th June 2007

The Annual General Meeting of the Community Council will be held on Wednesday 20 June 2007 at 7:30pm in St Catherine’s Argyle Church, Grange Road, Edinburgh followed by Ordinary Meeting at 8.00 pm approximately

Please come along to your Community Council and meet your Community Councillors, your Councillors and your Neighbourhood Policeman. Light refreshments provided. This is your chance to let us know how we can represent you and catch up with what is happening in your community.

AGM – Agenda
  1. Minutes of the last Annual General meeting
  2. Matters arising from the minutes
  3. Treasurer’s Report
  4. Chairwoman’s Report
  5. Election of Office Bearers and Community Council Elected Member
  6. Any Other Business
Agenda for Ordinary Meeting
  1. Sederunt and Apologies & Welcome
  2. Minutes of meeting held 16 May 2007
  3. Police Report: PC Bruce Burt
  4. What is happening with Sick Kids site and James Gillespies Building Campaign
  5. Reports of meetings by members
  6. Notices of meetings/events of interest
  7. Other Business
  8. Next meeting: Wednesday 15 August 2007 at 7.30 pm
Anne Laird (Acting Chair): 0131 2298024, annelaird@freenet.co.uk
Hugh Leather;
Melanie Main (Treasurer): melaniemain@btinternet.com

Community Ownership of Land in Edinburgh

Dear Community Councillor
Edinburgh At Risk would like to invite you to a lecture by Andy Wightman entitled:
"Community Ownership of Land in Edinburgh - The Story of the Common Good Fund"
Time: 7.30 on Wednesday 27th June 2007
Place: St Stephens Centre, St Stephens Street, Edinburgh, EH3 5AL
I would be grateful if you could pass this information on to anyone on your Community Council who you feel would be interested. Anyone wishing to attend just needs to reply to this email to secure a seat.
Andy Wightman is a writer and researcher on land issues in Scotland. He specialises in research and analysis of land ownership and land reform in Scotland. More information is available on his website at http://www.andywightman.com/commonweal/commongood.html
Edinburgh At Risk is a non-political umbrella organisation founded by a number of on-going campaigns. The one issue that unites all these groups is their concern at the many present and planned sales of public land and facilities. Campaigns include:

Save Our Old Town http://www.eh8.org.uk
Save Glenogle Baths http://www.saveglenoglebaths.com
Save Meadowbank http://www.savemeadowbank.org
Sighthill Says No
Portobello Park Action Group
http://www.portygreenkeepers.org.uk
Gardyloo http://www.gardyloo.org
Friends of Corstorphine Hill http://www.corstorphinehill.ukf.net
A video showing many of the campaigns can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/v/miko9rcRhX4.
Kind regards
Linda Wilson
Secretary