This blog is where you will find community council information, including meeting times, minutes and agenda. Do please comment on postings.

Wednesday, 15 May 2019

Agenda for Meeting and AGM on the 22nd May 2019

Marchmont & Sciennes
Community Council


Meeting on Wed 22 May 2019 at 7:30pm (including AGM)
St Catherine's Argyle Church Halls, Beaufort Road

A G E N D A

 1             Sederunt and apologies
 2            Draft Minutes of last meeting, 24 April 2018, and matters arising (not otherwise on Agenda)

 3             Police Report
 4             Meadows & Bruntsfield Links:
·       Any Fombl items?
5             City Councillor report on topical local issues


Items for AGM

A1          Approve Note of last year's AGM
A2        Matters arising from the AGM minutes
A3        Annual Report - Chair  (Brian Gilmore)
A4        Annual Report - Secretary  () 
A5        Annual Report and presentation of audited accounts - Treasurer (Alison Service) 
A6        Co-option of members 
A7        Election of Officers
A8        Date of next AGM 
A9        Ordinary meeting dates for 2017-18
            Proposed: 4th Wed of each month except no meeting in July, August or December
A10      AOCB 

Items for discussion
 6             Royal Hospital for Sick Children Redevelopment
                                See Attached Note
 7             Astley Ainslie Hospital Redevelopment: update
 8             Planning applications
                                Any others?
 9.           Southside Neighbourhood Network
                Report on 1st Meeting

For info:
10           Treasurer's report
11           Meetings attended

12           AOCB
13           Date of next meeting: Wednesday 26 June 2018

All who live or work locally are welcome to attend
MSCC is online at: https://www.facebook.com/

Thursday, 25 April 2019

MSCC Minutes for March 2019


Minutes of Marchmont & Sciennes Community Council

Meeting of Wed 27th March 2019 at St Catherine’s Argyle Church Halls, Beaufort Road

Present:  Brian Gilmore (Chair), Alison Service (Treasurer), Sophia Coyne (Minute Secretary), Shane Voss (MSCC), Mike Shields (MSCC), PC Johnny Wong, Nigel Ayton (Grange Assoc) and Susie Agnew (MSCC). 

Apologies Anthony Holmes (Thirlestane Lane Assoc), Ian Murray (MP), Douglas Rogers, Fiona Denvir and Anne Laing (MSCC). 

Minutes from February’s meeting have been circulated, approved by Alison and seconded by Shane. 

Matters arising: 

Shane reported he had sent Cllr. Watt a copy of the lost proposal to move the dustbin in Morningside.

Police report: 

PC Johnny Wong:  Recent crime statistics from 2nd of April 2018 through to January 2019 were discussed.  It was reported that house break-ins were down.  Car theft has increased.  Instances of drug possession remained the same.  

There were knife point robberies on Sciennes Road sometime last week.  The two perpetrators have been caught, but further details are not available.

Thefts between January to present have been primarily concentrated in the Meadows/Middle Meadow Walk.  There have been two assaults over a two month period, which is not as high as expected. One of the assaults occurred in early evening.  During the Easter holidays and throughout April, there will be more police presence in Middle Meadow Walk to protect visiting youths.

The 20 mph initiative was discussed. He was asked how the Road safety day of 5th Tuesday had turned out but he had not heard anything

Additionally, CI Dave Robertson was announced as the new chief inspector.

Meadows & Bruntsfield Links:

Upcoming Events through to June. 

Meadows event 31st of March, Hindu Society Colour Festival is planned.  The Hindu Society will provide clean-up afterwards.

13th of April – small bike event including testing bicycles, laps around proper cycle path in two small areas of Meadow Walk. 

13th of April – BASQUE community event promoting language and culture

10th of May – Gung Ho, big inflatables on the Meadows. 

Student Collection point – Leamington Walk – initiative for students that are moving out of their flats for the end of the year to return electronic items and  furniture for recycling and thus to reduce waste.  

26th of May – Fun fair 

1st and 2nd of June – Meadows Festival – precise areas are uncertain yet as there is a licensing issue about spaces and prices.  

Other Updates include funding from events used to regrass and fence off desire lines and for play equipment - details included in the FOMBL report.

Cllrs report:  

None. 

Election of Secretary (repeat) 

None.

Royal Hospital for Sick Children:  

Although not present at the meeting, Douglas Rogers sent an email message for discussion. 

ACTION - Brian to follow-up on current status of the three planning applications for the development of the site. 

Cameron Rose’s newsletter indicated that a Community Hall was proposed for the site. 

There is space available in the hospital for somebody to take it on.  

Although not present at the meeting Fiona Denvir sent an email regarding the hospital.  The application to Sustrans will reportedly be submitted on Monday. There has not been any correspondence with Holder Planning. 

A traffic monitoring strip has appeared outside of the school.  leads us to believe they have started the traffic management plan. 


Astley Ainslie Hospital Redevelopment:

The Astley Ainslie Community Trust has started consultation.  Last Saturday, the 23rd of March, they held the Ideas Event at the Eric Liddell Centre.  Over 300 people were present at the event and there were talks held throughout the day.  A positive atmosphere was generated.   They are marshalling the ideas and mood of the community with respect to development.  

A feedback session is scheduled for this coming Sunday between 2pm and 4pm.   The ideas and themes generated at the event and expressed in the feedback would be used as a deliverable to say what the community wants.  

The Scottish government has given them a grant for the current consultation but they will need to apply for further funding to deliver the ideas.  

The Grange Association has been aware of a few trees that were felled without permission of the council    and has notified the Council of the breach of the Tree Preservation Order that covers the site.


Review of Community Councils Scheme:

Nothing new. 

Planning matters:  

Planning applications – there have not been any new applications.

However, there have been decisions that have come through including:  

A third application to build a new dwelling at 42 Grange Road that has again been refused.  

An application at 48A Lauder Road for a 6.5 by 4 metre parking space in the front garden  that has been refused.  


Treasurer’s report: 
The Treasurer’s Report has been circulated. 

At the end of March, there is £779.43.  There remains one small check still to go out. 

Allison will not be present in the next meeting.  

There will not be a Treasurer’s report next month because of the audit being done for the May AGM.

Last year the MSCC had to make certain financial cuts including memberships to the Cockburn Association (£40) and the Meadows Festival association (£20).  it was agreed to recommence those memberships for 2019.


Meetings attended: Friends of the Meadows & Bruntsfield Links (FOMBL). Alison had circulated a report round listing the projects that were being done using the £21,000 allocation of funds from ring-fenced from events revenues.

AOCB: No items


Date of next meeting 
24th April 2019.

The meeting closed at 20:11. 


Wednesday, 17 April 2019

Draft Agenda for Wed 24th April


Marchmont & Sciennes
Community Council


Meeting on Wed 24th April 2019 at 7:30pm
St Catherine's Argyle Church Halls, Beaufort Road

A G E N D A

 1             Sederunt and apologies
 2            Draft Minutes of last meeting, 27th March 2019, and matters arising (not otherwise on Agenda)
 3             Police Report
 4             Meadows & Bruntsfield Links
 5             City Councillor report on topical local issues
 6             Election of Secretary (repeat)
Items for discussion
 7             Royal Hospital for Sick Children Redevelopment
                                Planning Application – Further developments?
 8             Astley Ainslie Hospital Redevelopment: update
 9             Planning (Applications & consultations)
·         Any others

Items for information
10           Treasurer's report
11           Meetings attended
Any Others
12           AOCB
13           Date of next meeting (and AGM): 22nd May 2019

All who live or work locally are welcome to attend.
MSCC is online at: https://www.facebook.com/MarchmontSciennesCommunityCouncil

Thursday, 28 March 2019

MSCC February 2019 Minutes


Minutes of Marchmont & Sciennes Community Council
Meeting of Wed 27th February 2019 at St Catherine’s Argyle Church Hall

Present:  Brian Gilmore (Chair), Alison Service (Treasurer), Elinor O’Donovan (Minute Secretary), Cllr Mandy Watt, Stuart Tooley (UoE), Shane Voss (MSCC), PC Stuart Fraser, PC Neil Mackay, Alastair McInnes (Resident), Nigel Ayton (Grange Assoc), Rev. Karen Campbell (Marchmont St Giles), Judith Stewart (Marchmont St Giles), Anne Laing (MSCC), Susie Agnew (MSCC), Anne Marie Scott (Mansfield Traquair Trust), Tristram Clarke (Historic Churches Scotland Trust), Elizabeth Cumming (Mansfield Traquair Trust), Cllr Steve Burgess.
Apologies Mike Shields (MSCC), Anthony Holmes (Thirlestane Lane Assoc), Alison Johnstone (MSP), Ian Murray (MP).
Minutes from January’s meeting have been circulated, approved by Alison and seconded by Shane.
Matters arising:
Brian notes the sad passing of Dorothy Ryle. Dorothy was a member of MSCC for a long period and was the Grange Association rep before Nigel.
It was actioned in last month’s minutes that Brian would write about securing the money from Meadows events to be spent on community parks, which he did. Alison urged FOMBL to write to write to Edinburgh Council regarding the same.
Shane has also sent the email confirming MSCC’s position on the 20mph scheme.
Alison sent in an objection to a planning application for 6 Cumin Place, in support of the Grange Association’s objection as requested by Nigel.
The agreed 40 pounds was sent to the Grange Association to assist in paying for the Astley Ainslie site meeting on 14th February. Alison urged FOMBL to write to city council on parks money being continued to be saved for us.
Police report:
PC Neil Mackay: Recent crime stats taken from April 2018 to January 2019 were reported at the Localities meeting. In Morningside, house break-ins in are down 31% from last year, and down 39.6% on the 5 year average. In Southside/Newington area they are down 13.3% on last year and down 31.8% on the 5 year average. Break-ins to sheds and garages as well as break-ins to businesses are significantly down in our areas. There has been an increase in theft from motor vehicles -up 22% from last year in Morningside and up 39% in Southside Newington areas. However, a person was identified last summer and charged with over 50 car break-ins. He was identified as the main suspect in this area and since then, car break-in figures have plummeted.
Over the last month, there have been few house break-ins in this area. There was one break-in on Findhorn Place and a 42 year old man remanded in custody. A 30 year old man was also caught breaking into the Black Ivy public house.
Outside this area, there have been a couple of more alarming incidents. There was a murder on Clearburn Road in Prestonfield on the 21st February. Three teenagers have been remanded in custody. There have also been a number of sexual assaults on the grounds of the Royal Infirmary. A 21 year old man has been remanded in custody related to these crimes.
There will be a dedicated road safety day, related to the new 20mph scheme next Tuesday 5th March. Police will be around Grange Rd, Grange Loan and other roads in the area.

Church developments
Rev Karen Campbell: Some updates regarding Marchmont St Giles church.
Marchmont St Giles has a lack of space to accommodate the large number of groups using the church, and so they have started planning for an extension. They are currently working with architects to build a new church centre. The new plan will allow people to walk through the church to the new hall, with a flat floor that is completely accessible except for a ramp at back of church. The new hall is planned to be where the outdoor play area is currently. There will be new loos and a boiler room underneath the toilets. Overall, the refurbishment is expected to cost 1 million pounds. The church currently has half the money and is working with fundraisers to apply to Big Lottery Funding and Trusts- they hope to have the money in place by the summer. If they have a firm promise of it, they are hoping to go to build in the summer, but this still may be put off until January next year. At any rate, they have planning permission and we can expect a significant build in the next year. Judith Stewart, involved in Church management, adds that the church is happy to hear from the community if they have any suggested uses for the new space.
Last summer, the church received money from Church of Scotland to be put towards IT help for older parishioners. A student named Fenton came in during the summer, updated the church’s website and organised a 2-hour session every week to help older people with any IT problems they might have had. A group called Tap Into IT heard about this as they had also organised something similar in Marian House, a care home in the Grange area. Mike from Tap Into IT came along at the end of the summer and continued Fenton’s initiative. The church has now received funding from Edinburgh Council to continue 6 months of this IT support for older people, beginning 27th March.
Meadows & BL: 
None.
Cllrs report:  
Cllr Watt:
At the last council meeting the decision was made to not continue with Localities. It took a year to set up, with another year of Localities meetings taking place. Following this it was decided that they weren’t going as plan- there was feedback received from community councils and community groups who preferred the Neighbourhood Partnerships. The original intention for Localities was to have Localities-specific budgeting, but since then there have been so many cuts to funding and because they were unable to establish a constructive participatory budget, the community organisations felt like they lost involvement.
At the moment, councillors are waiting to see what the new arrangements will be. Cllr Watt will let Brian know of any updates.

Cllr Burgess adds that the decision also involved dissolving Neighbourhood Partnerships from 1st April as well as Localities. They have now decided to create new Neighbourhood Networks which cover the same Neighbourhood Partnership areas, but the precise makeup of these networks is to be decided. Cllr Watt predicts they will be the same as NPs. Cllr Burgess believes this name change is to reflect that the new Neighbourhood Networks could involve more than just community councils.

Cllr Burgess attended 2 ward meetings; Southside/Newington and Morningside. He says that Cllr Melanie Main believed Morningside weren’t happy with the proposals about how to spend the Neighbourhood Environment Programme money and Morningside councillors didn’t want to approve the proposal. Cllr Watt believes Morningside didn’t want to approve the proposal as there was already money there as well as projects approved in the past that hadn’t been carried out. She says they are looking for a report that details everything that was approved, and what the obstacles were that prevented these projects from happening.
Brian, who attended Morningside ward meeting, notes that there was discussion about a proposal to move a dustbin put forward by Shane that had got lost, and that the decision was to take this to Localities. Since Localities will not be continued, Cllr Watt asks Shane to send a copy of his proposal to her. Shane agrees to send a copy to Cllr Watt

Cllr Burgess: Parents at Sciennes Primary School are struggling to police road management as part of their Schools Streets scheme. Cllr Dickie met parents and officers in order to talk about improving this. They met road safety officers who offered to move the existing road signs to a more prominent position so that they are less likely to be ignored by drivers. This will be covered by the Road Safety Officers’ budget for safety improvements.
There was discussion about erecting a ‘No Entry’ sign- but this would need to include another sign listing exceptions. As the Sick Kids hospital is still open, there would be too many exceptions to the ‘No Entry’ sign to the extent that there would be little point in having it.

Sick Kids Hospital: 

Brian notes that the proposal by Downing Group went to the Development Management Sub-Committee and, after heated discussion, was approved by one vote. This essentially marks the end of the process for a major part of the site.
 On the mortuary building in the Sick Kids hospital:
Elizabeth Cumming from the Mansfield Traquair Trust was present at this sub-committee meeting and spoke on behalf of the trust. Prior to the decision, one of the councillors advised that the mortuary building be taken out of the discussion of the site and the following vote. Although the main site proposal was approved by 1 vote, the future of the mortuary building is to be further discussed and developers have 3 to 4 months to come up with alternative proposals for it. Proposals prior to this decision suggested that the Chapel of Rest, featuring important historic murals by artist Phoebe Anna Traquair, would be left as is, while the rest of the building would be converted into residential flats. Elizabeth highlighted to the sub-committee the dangers of having residential flats and the potential threat they pose to the conservation of the murals. The Mansfield Traquair trust have no interest in acquiring the building themselves, but they support passing the building over to the Historic Churches Scotland Trust. The Mansfield Traquair trust would prefer a completely non-residential occupation of the mortuary building and suggest the upper floors, separate from the chapel, could be used as small offices.

Anne-Marie Scott from Mansfield Traquair adds that the vast majority of the Sick Kids site’s future has been dictated. The mortuary building is one small bargaining chip that has not yet been decided. The Mansfield Traquair trust have a vested interest in preserving the art in the Chapel of Rest and want to find out what appetite there is in our community for preserving it. From conversations with Douglas Rogers, she says it’s clear that the development’s community benefit is unsatisfactory. In this case, it could be useful to the developers to divest the mortuary building to Historic Churches Scotland to increase community benefit.
Tristram Clarke from the Historic Churches Scotland Trust says that his trust is in agreement with the Mansfield Traquair trustees about the value of the mortuary chapel and its potential uses. They are very much against the building being split up amongst multiple owners, as would be the case with converting the upper floors into flats. The Historic Churches Scotland Trust owns property, but is not in the business of leasing to residential tenants and so the ideal solution would be to use the additional spaces as offices, in order to generate a small amount of rental income. 
Mansfield Traquair have had no further contact with the developers since the planning decision was made. They have been included in discussions from the start and their intention is to work closely with the developers. Historic Churches Scotland want Downing to give them the building, as Downing might see it as a liability. Historic Churches Scotland would first need to do a viability study to ensure the building could achieve a positive cash flow as it is expensive to maintain a Category A listed building.
The next step is to wait for the Council’s formal decision. Mansfield Traquair will keep in contact with Douglas Rogers. Mansfield Traquair would like community support for this, which Brian predicts they will get.
Astley Ainslie
Nigel Ayton: The big public meeting regarding the AAH site was held on 14th February as planned. It was planned that there would be presentations by the NHS, Edinburgh Council and Daniel Johnson MSP but  the NHS did not attend. As the NHS are supposedly in the driving seat, and are in charge of appointing consultants, the Council has become impatient and will take more of the initiative itself. The Council has committed to the proposed plan and is therefore stepping up to specify the requirements for consultants themselves. Nigel commends the Council on its clear, unequivocal answers to questions during the meeting.
When the NHS sent apologies for the meeting, they included a 1.5 page note for the meeting. The Council taking over the process is compatible with the contents of this note although there is still a question of how much leverage the Council will have in writing terms of specifications for the consultants if the NHS is to fund the consultants’ work.
As it stands, the Place Brief will be going to the Development Management Sub-Committee, and the NHS will not approach the market until the Sub-Committee approves the brief. The NHS wants the site to go on the market in 2020 which means that the Place Brief must be written with community consultation done by the end of 2019. Nigel remains confident that this could happen if all parties work together constructively and expeditiously.
To complicate things somewhat, the Astley Ainslie Community Trust is preparing consultations in relation to its own objective of community ownership of some or all of the site.  The Trust plans to do a consultation with two stages; what do people want to see on the site? And what is the community’s business model in terms of what the community can own. There will be consultations by the Community Trust with dates set in March.
The Council has seen this and wants to join in with the first part of the Community Trust’s consultation in order for it to feed into consultation for the Place Brief.
Nigel emphasised the necessary distinction between public input to:
a)       The Place Brief, which will be a document of record, against which any planning application to build anything by anyone on the Astley Ainslie site would have to be assessed; and
b)      The Community Trust’s proposals to acquire assets for community ownership.
Nigel noted that it is essential that the public contributes to the Place Brief as, in the event that the Community Trust’s bid for community ownership fails, there would otherwise be no protection for the site.  The Place Brief is the only certain protection that will be offered concerning future development, regardless of who ends up owning parts of the site.


Review of Community Councils Scheme
Brian: The Council is reviewing the Community Councils Scheme, the new draft scheme has been circulated. The main changes are:
-          Scottish Youth Parliament representatives are ex oficio members.
-          The election cycle is changing from 3 years to 4 years.
-          The number of co-opted members cannot be more than one third of the maximum total membership without special permission from the Council.
-          We must produce an annual report on engagement activities, if not then we don’t receive funding.
-          There must be a balanced budget.
-          We are to express the views of the community irrespective of personal opinions.
There is no change to membership. We are allowed a max of 21 members, 14 elected and 7 nominated.
No objections to the revised scheme were raised.
Reclaim our Streets
There are two groups planning separate events in Marchmont for the Jo Cox street party in June. The MSCC has already given its support to Damian Hayes, who wanted to organise a get-together around Gillespies school. Another group of people want to do something as well, suggesting that we close Roseneath Place or the bottom of Marchmont Crescent.
Brian will write to both groups suggesting they liaise with each other.
Planning matters: 
Alison circulated an email regarding a development on Whitehouse Terrace. It is a big development, but you can’t see it from the road, as none of it is higher than first floor level and they have a tall wall. The only visible change is widening gates at the front a small bit. The council has no objections.
48 and 48A Lauder road have each put in proposals for a rear extension next to each other. 48A wants a 6.5m x 4m tarmac area at front of the property to park a vehicle and Grange Assoc is objecting to this.
16 Tantallon Place wants to build an extension right up to front line, with bricks that are very different from the current stone of the house. Grange Assoc is objecting to this as well.
Plans are in to build a new school on Canaan Lane, just west of the AAH site.
There are new crossings to be installed imminently on Grange Rd. The Council published the TRO and RSO to redesignate pavements and cycleways.  The RSO has been revised in the light of objections and has gone back up for consultation.
The Grange Association AGM is next week.
Treasurer’s report:
Has been circulated. At the end of February, there is £1002.81. The auditor Gordon McRobert has agreed to do the end of March audit for 18/19.
Meetings attended: No others.
AOB:
Just Eat Bikes
Anne has asked about the Just Eat bikes that are abandoned by Café Artista on Marchmont Crescent and the bottom of Meadow Place. Stuart explains that the Just Eat Bikes get hijacked relatively easily which explains why you might see bikes abandoned randomly. Just Eat are testing new geo sites like those outside Café Artista, which means that temporary stands are in until they can be installed permanently.
Brian suggests that we keep an eye on the discarded Just Eat Bikes, and if scattered bikes continue to be an issue then Brian will contact the bike scheme’s organiser.
Date of next meeting
27th March. The meeting closes at 8.58pm.

Wednesday, 20 March 2019

MSCC Minutes of the January 2019 Meeting


Minutes of Marchmont & Sciennes Community Council
Meeting of Wed 23rd January 2019 at St Catherine’s Argyle Church Hall

Present:  Brian Gilmore (Chair), Alison Service (Treasurer), Elinor O’Donovan (Minute secretary), Alastair McInnes (resident), Riona Bell (resident), Andy Bell (resident), Wendy Sutcliffe (resident), Philip Sutcliffe (resident), Nigel Ayton (Grange Assoc), Mike Shields (Edinburgh Council), Shane Voss (MSCC), PC Karen Neilson, Cllr Melanie Main, Cllr Ian Perry, Fiona Denvir (Sciennes Primary School PTA), Susie Agnew (MSCC), Amelia Beattie (resident).
Apologies Anne Laing, Ian Murray MP, Douglas Rogers
Minutes of November’s meeting have been circulated, approved by Alison, seconded by Nigel.
Matters arising: None.
Police report: 
PC Karen Neilson:
The police were busy in December. Operation Winter City was in effect, with a police presence at the Christmas Markets to ensure public safety. Road safety checks were done on the Grange Rd, including breath checks. Several warnings were issued for broken lights as well as one for someone driving without insurance. Police gave out bicycle lights and raised awareness about cycle safety. There were increased police patrols around the Bruntsfield Links, following reports of people smoking cannabis in that area.
On 14th January, the community policing team stopped a vehicle in the Grange area and recovered over £2000 worth of drugs in the vehicle. The driver was remanded in custody.
A 64-year-old man is in custody in England following a robbery at Clerk St TSB.
Two men were identified following a series of assaults near the Southsider pub in December. There were also a few break-ins to businesses on the Southside corridor, but these have largely been solved.
Meadows & BL: 
Mike Shields:
FOMBL received money from David Jamieson, as a result of the money generated by events in the Meadows. They were allocated £21,000 for this year.
Last year, this money was spent on signage, gym equipment etc. Mike believes that it makes sense for the money generated from events held on the Meadows to go back into the community parks. Cllr Main suggests that if MSCC agrees that this is important, that they should make this known to Community Transport & Environment before the budget consultation. MSCC agrees – Brian will write the email.
Projects underway include re-doing hard surfacing in the parking area adjacent to the croquet club building, Mike is to visit the site tomorrow with a contractor to look at what needs to be done.
The entrance to the Meadows from Lonsdale terrace and from Chalmers St is in poor repair- there is a need for nice railings, for example. Mike is keen to add new play equipment to the Meadows and Bruntsfield Links. £7000 has been set aside for additional toddlers play equipment in the Bruntsfield end of the Meadows.
Mike also points out that the Meadows Management plan is coming to committee in March.

Cllrs report:  
Cllr Main:
Midmar Paddock, as previously discussed, is under threat of development. However, in positive news, there was work done with Friends of Midmar Paddock to gather evidence for rights of way, which they did in November. 2332 pieces of tight evidence were gathered detailing 70 years of use, from 760 people (majority of whom were from EH10 and EH9). This will go to the Access Forum on 31st January. Friends of Midmar Paddock are hoping that the council will give them the highest level of rights of way- which gives the council the option of taking the developer to court if these rights of way are contravened. The evidence for rights of way makes it more difficult for Midmar Paddock to be developed, and probably devalues the property. It also indicates the level of public support that developers might come up against.
Rights of way include the lines between at least two access points to a site so, for instance, developers would be required to maintain reasonable routes between those access points and would not be allowed to build across the routes and to reroute them into in a circle around the perimeter of the site. Developers can potentially reroute rights of way but need to put in a planning application to do so.
There was discussion about how much protection the council has over preserving green belt land. Cllr Perry says that developers can put in an application for anything they like, but it is up to the council to release green belt land for development. Where this might happen, as an example, is if a developer asked for green belt land to be released in order to build social housing which would potentially alleviate some of the pressure on the council for housing.

Cllr Main: The first ward meeting, to replace the Neighbourhood Partnerships is tomorrow at 6pm at the City Chambers. Community councils have been invited to discuss any issues relating to their ward.

Cllr Perry: Attended the SE Localities meeting, but there is nothing to report that specifically affects our area.
Cllr Perry also mentions that it is now time for budget consultation and asks for people to submit their views on proposed savings/cuts through the council website. Changes are made to the budget according to consultation and the budget will be set in 3 weeks’ time.

Sick Kids Hospital: 
There was a Planning Committee site visit on Wednesday 16th. Fiona Denvir and Douglas Rogers attended. Fiona said it was interesting to be talked through the detail of plans for the site as they met with developers. When the Sick Kids site planning application went in, the community council put in their objections. However, when Fiona and Douglas attended the site visit, they could only attend as silent observers.
On the 6th February at 10am, the application will be going to hearing at the Planning Committee. Douglas and Fiona will go along then.
Astley Ainslie
Nigel:
Things picked up before Christmas and the Planning department within Edinburgh Council were more engaged than ever. They hosted a meeting in Waverley Court with the NHS and Community Engagement Group in order to clarify what kind of document is being produced for the project. This will be a Place Brief.
The Place Brief will be put to the Development Management Subcommittee for endorsement so that it is considered in subsequent planning applications. If a developer puts forward an application, for example, it will have to be assessed with reference to the Place Brief.
The Council agreed to modify the contents of the previously proposed Master Plan, so that they became the contents of the Place Brief. The NHS, since they are paying for the plan, will be in charge of drafting the Place Brief and of procuring the consultants for specialist areas.  The council is now the “client for consultation”, since everything will be done to the council’s specifications and contents list.  The Council will attend progress meetings with NHS and the Community Engagement Group at least monthly and will review the drafts for consistency with the contents list.  Since the meeting in December, things have become quieter. This is due in part to the person leading for the NHS side being on sick leave.
Nigel stated leaflets for a public meeting on 14th Feb at the Eric Liddell Centre are being distributed to homes in the area.  The meeting is to communicate with residents about what is going on with the site. The Community Engagement Group is for Community Councils, including this one and others and the CEG owe it to residents to say what’s going on, clarifying the process with the NHS and with the Community Trust.
The master programme will have public consultations in the summer, so this meeting is more of a “show and tell” than a consultation. It is just to improve clarity about what is going on, fact-sharing and to share the timetable with residents. Everything for the Place Brief has to happen in 2019 so that it gets to the Development Management Subcommittee by this time next year, as the NHS wants to go to market in 2020. The move from the site may not be completed until 2025 but this won’t delay the transaction.
Discussion about the public consultations in the summer. Cllr Main mentions that it is best practice not to hold consultation during the school holidays. Nigel assures that they will not be held in July, rather some will be held before July with others from late August onwards. The NHS will appoint the consultants- however, some at the meeting pointed out that the NHS appointed public consultants with the Sick Kids site, and the process took several years. Some are also dubious about the independence of the NHS appointing the consultants. Nigel says that the pressure for the consultants to be independent will come from the Planning Department and its review of the drafts produced for the Place Brief.   Brian suggests that there is no other option but for us to keep a close eye on things.

Nigel encourages everyone to attend the meeting on 14th February at 7pm. This meeting is being underwritten by the Grange Association and, so far, it has cost about £250 to rent the centre and publish posters. Other councils have been asked to make a financial contribution; each council is being asked to consider contributing between £25-40. Alison says we have sufficient funds to do so and proposes that MSCC contributes £40. Fiona seconds. The meeting agreed.

Sciennes school PTA
Fiona and Kirstin from Sciennes primary school:
Sciennes primary school has 670 pupils, and the playground is too small to accommodate them. Over the last few years, a lot has been done to develop the playground and open space across the road but the PTA are currently trying to get the road directly in front of Sciennes Primary school closed. This would provide additional playground space and would allow it to become a permanent cycle way for kids travelling to school.
Sciennes Primary has already been chosen to be part of the Schools Streets scheme, which means the road is closed at school drop-off and pick-up times. This has already had a positive impact on children travelling to schools actively (by cycling or walking) and has improved safety for them at these times.
At this point, the PTA need to put in a planning application to have the road closed, but in order to do so they need money and the support of the local community. The PTA have been working with local councillors and MPs who have been supportive, in principle, of closing the road when the Sick Kids hospital closes.
Sustrans has said they would be keen to support a bid to have the road closed. The Sciennes primary PTA at this moment are looking for the MSCC to support them in terms of the Sustrans application, as Sustrans could provide the necessary funding.
This funding from Sustrans would allow the PTA to subsidise the cost of the council undertaking an independent assessment of traffic management in the area. Some present at the meeting are concerned about the closure of Sciennes Rd leading to traffic congestion in other neighbouring streets and the PTA need to show that they are sufficiently engaging with the local community in this regard.
The PTA’s objectives are to create a permanent vehicle-free area, to improve safety of crossing at school times, to reduce vehicle speeds, to increase the number of cyclists of varying abilities and ages, to create a people-prioritised pleasant environment and to improve air quality. According to the PTA, the School Streets scheme has reduced pollution in area overall- according to the air pollution monitors measured at 14 different points in the area. In every street measured, apart from Hatton Pl. and Gladstone Ter., there has been a significant drop in air pollution.
Philip Sutcliffe stated that he feels it is essential for an impartial study to be undertaken on the potential effects of the closure of Sciennes Rd on other surrounding roads. He would like this to be made public. Kirstin assures that part of the money from Sustrans will go towards the traffic study, specifically looking at ‘source and destination’ traffic of people using that particular road.
Cllr Perry also assures everyone that before any road closure, a traffic impact analysis will be done. Any evidence from this analysis will become publicly available for concerned residents to check to see if it is credible. Brian also ensures that he will circulate any analysis done on the traffic impact of the road closure.

Cllr Main mentions that traffic modelling is now done on a computer, which allows you to see where traffic goes when a road is closed. She assures that if a disproportionate amount of traffic is being displaced, then measures will be taken to address that. Overall, similar discussions in other community council meetings have suggested that there is an overall increase in on residential streets in Edinburgh, and Cllr Main says that closing residential streets can have a positive effect.
After further discussion and debate, Brian asserts that no decision is being taken tonight on the road closure. The PTA is asking for blessing in them going to Sustrans for funding for analysis, and to get a traffic management survey. After that, it will come back to MSCC for consultation on the scheme as a whole. The committee vote, and MSCC approves of the PTA going to Sustrans for funding.

Review of Community Councils Scheme
Individuals will respond with their views.
20mph city speed limit
Shane says that it had previously been decided that we would respond as individuals but seems a shame that we can’t represent our community overall.
After some discussion on the effect of the 20mph scheme on bus routes, it is decided that Shane will respond as the MSCC in support of the 20mph but will voice caution about the bus routes.
Planning matters: 
Nigel: The Grange Assoc is objecting to an application to build a driveway at 6 Cumin Place and asks for MSCC’s support. Alison will respond in support.
Treasurer’s report:
Has been circulated. At the end of January, there is £1030.91 with two outstanding cheques to be paid, to a total of £170.66.
Meetings attended:
Alison has circulated a report on the recent FOMBL meeting.
AGM of EACC attended by Brian.
AOB:
Alison gives a vote of thanks to Cllr Main for standing in at the Christmas Event.
Date of next meeting
27th February 2019. The meeting closed at 9.20pm.