This blog is where you will find community council information, including meeting times, minutes and agenda. Do please comment on postings.

Saturday, 29 September 2007

DRAFT CORE PATHS PLAN





As you know we have been working on the development of the Edinburgh Core Paths Plan as required by the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003. Following the two rounds of informal consultation held in 2006 and earlier this year, we are pleased to advise you that a formal Draft of the Plan has now been published and will be available for statutory consultation from 1st October to 31st December 2007. We have also produced an Environmental Report on the Plan in accordance with the requirements of the Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Act 2005.


Now the Draft Plan is available we would very much like to have your input, feedback and comments prior to its finalisation and adoption by the Council. A leaflet is attached to this email to inform you how to view and comment on the plan.

Thank you for you continued contribution to development of the Plan. We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Samantha Oxley
Project Manager
Edinburgh Core Paths Planning

Kara Heald
Landscape Architect
ERM
Norloch House
36 Kings Stables Road
Edinburgh
EH1 2EU

Office Phone: 0131 478 6000
Direct Dial: 0131 624 9226

Friday, 28 September 2007

MSCC minutes: 12 September 2007

1. Sederunt and Apologies
Susie Agnew welcomed attendees to the meeting and noted apologies.

2 Minutes of meeting held 15 August 2007
The minutes were accepted as a true record. (Proposed: Linda Smith; Seconded: Anne Laird.)

3 Matters Arising
It was agreed that matters arising from the previous meeting would be covered later on in the agenda.

4 Police Report
Sergeant Norman Towler introduced PC Lindsey Thomson, new community beat officer for Marchmont. There have been 15 house-breakings in the last month, all of which were the result of body pressure against Yale locks and Sergeant Towler reiterated the importance of using mortice locks. The perpetrators of nine of these break-ins are in custody and the police have good lines of inquiry for the other cases. Crime activity on the Meadows has gone back down to normal and this is likely to be connected to the end of the school holidays. The police are considering forming a Meadows Focus Group next year with representation from local interest groups to look at ways of tackling crime on the Meadows.

Sergeant Towler then gave the opportunity for questions and there was brief discussion of graffiti. The police are aware that graffiti is an issue and would request that anyone seeing graffiti to submit a photo of it to the police. The Council has a graffiti squad who can be contacted to remove graffiti.

There was also discussion of banners being torn down in the local area. Sergeant Towler encouraged attendees to report all incidents of crime, even if they feel there’s nothing the police can do about them, since it helps the police to build up an evidence base.

ACTION
PC Thomson will be establishing an e-newsletter using PC Burt’s contact list. Anyone wishing to be added to this list should e-mail: lindsey.thomson@lbp.pnn.police.uk

5 Gillespie school building update
Councillor Marilyne MacLaren updated the group on the work that has taken place on the school over the summer. This work was allocated a budget of £1.2 million and included:
The rebuilding of the gable end of two teaching blocks where stones were falling off. This was a health and safety issue.
Major work in all teaching corridors
Fire doors have been strengthened and replaced
Introduction of CCTV
A security system on all doors
Some mechanical and electrical work on teaching blocks
Upgrading of fire alarms
Replacement and recovering of roofs
There are future plans to re-build the school on site and a £90 million bid has been made to the Scottish Government which will be essential if this work is to be undertaken. The results of this bid will be available subsequent to the Scottish Government spending review in October/November.

6 Neighbourhood Partnership Report
Hugh Leather represented the MSCC at the first meeting of the Neighbourhood Partnership (NP) on 10th September. NP managers were available to answer questions from an hour before the meeting and Hugh recommended these as useful opportunities for an informal chat. The meeting itself included:
- Presentations from the police representative on the group.
- A presentation from Sian Lovell of Edinburgh City Council on the Marchmont streetscape project.
- A presentation from Susan Bruce explaining how the NP sub-structure still needs to be sorted out and that there will be training for NP representatives to help them understand area profiles for the local community plan.
- There was mention of the Tollcross centre study.
- The Meadows action plan was discussed.
- Some other local issues were raised.
- The Edinburgh University Students Association (EUSA) has applied to have NP representation. The group agreed that it is important to have student representation and will look into the best way of achieving this.
- The group agreed that the NP did not need to agree a formal ‘vision’.
- The NP has £60,000 in its budget for grant applications this year.

Archie Enwood of Edinburgh Council was present at the MSCC meeting and explained that the MSCC will be allocated a NP liaison officer from the Council to come along to meetings. He updated the group on progress with Susan Bruce’s action points from the August meeting:
- Susan Bruce contacted Mr Bell, Manager for Bereavement and Public Health at the Council, and found that there is no money available to allow the Council’s policy of flattening headstones to be changed.
- Susan Bruce was unable to obtain more information on the issue of special uplift.
- The Environment Manager will review the issue of the pavement in Warrender Park Terrace on his return from annual leave.
- Susan Bruce has no information at present about the licensing arrangements for temporary caf├ęs erected on the Meadows during the festival.

ACTION
- Susie Agnew, Dorothy Ryle and Ken Dougall will meet with Mr Bell to discuss headstones, and consider whether it might be feasible to apply to the NP for some money to address this issue.
- Mr Bell will be invited to the next meeting of the group.
- A council representative will be invited to the next meeting of the group to answer questions about the new policy on special uplift of rubbish.
- Archie Enwood will look into how many special uplifts were typically requested per household last year.
- Archie Enwood will pass on concerns raised about the pavement at the North end of Marchmont Crescent to John Gilmore, Roads Manager.

7 & 8 Involving the community & improving the website

It was agreed that there is a need to make attempts to involve more of the community in MSCC meetings if the MSCC is to be truly representative. There was general discussion and the following suggestions were made:
- Everyone could bring along one friend.
- More effort should be made to include the Sciennes community.
- Professional posters should be put up in local shops.
- Political parties should put meeting dates in their newsletters.
- Interesting issues to be covered at meetings should be highlighted on MSCC posters.
- Opportunities should be made to interact with groups directly, through methods such as on-line voting.
- Can we produce a newsletter to make what we do more visible? Could this be in electronic format, for example in TV screens in shops?
- Ask the Meadows Directory to include a MSCC report.
- Flyer at school gates.
- Include information about the MSCC in school newsletters.
- Ensure notices in libraries are up-to-date.
- Charles Stewart is happy to put information in the Shuttle. Any information would need to be with him electronically by the first Sunday of the month.

ACTION
- Fiona Scott, Ken Dougall, Sarah Sandow and Hugh Leather will form a sub-group to look at the issue of involving more of the local community and come up with an action plan for discussion at the November MSCC meeting.
- The MSCC accounts will be put on the blog for a 3 month trial period. Hugh Leather will respond to e-mail queries regarding the accounts, explaining that all queries can be raised at MSCC meetings.

9 Meadows Festival Report

Hugh Leather updated the group that the committee met last week, and have provisionally booked the dates of 6-7 June 2008 for the Meadows Festival. Eric and Sharon Dougall, the previous organisers of the festival are now involved and are giving very helpful advice. The committee is going to attempt to take over the existing Meadows Festival charity and if all goes well an AGM will be announced in the next month or so for election of office-bearers. Members of the group have been shown round the Meadows by the Parks Manager and now have an idea of the facilities available for the Festival.
ACTION
The group is looking for more volunteers to be involved in the organisation of the Meadows Festival. Anyone interested should contact Hugh Leather.

10 Roads and Traffic
No roads and traffic issues were raised.

11 Planning and Licensing Issues
The group was notified of some plans for Queen Margaret College, and agreed no action was required. There have been no House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) applications.

12 Any other business
12.1 Meadows Place
The MSCC has lodged a formal objection to the closing of Meadows Place and received an acknowledgement. At the August meeting it was agreed that Councillor Cameron Rose would take up this issue with the appropriate people, and the group awaits an update.
9.2 Minutes for October meetinig
Susanna Lacey will stand in for Rebecca Patterson taking minutes at the October meeting.
12.3 Licence application
A street food trader will soon begin trading at the foot of Charlotte Street. Tollcross Community Council lodged an objection to this.
9.3 Edinburgh Evening News
The Edinburgh Evening News is looking for interesting stories about local people. Anything relevant should be sent directly to the Edinburgh Evening News.
12.4 Mystery shoppers
Edinburgh City Council is looking for 20 mystery shoppers to test services for communities. More information is available on the front page of the Council website.
12.5 No. 24 bus service
ACTION
Susie Agnew will write to the Council expressing the MSCC’s view that the no.24 bus service should be increased to at least 3 buses per hour.
12.6 NHS Lothian consultation
At the October meeting, the group will decide whether it wishes to submit a collective MSCC response to this document.

13 Next meeting
The next meeting of the group will take place on Wednesday 10 October, beginning at 7.30pm, at St Catherine’s Argyle Church Community Hall, Grange Road.

Wednesday, 26 September 2007

ASCC AGM

Saturday 3rd November, Scottish Parliament

Documents are here:
http://groups.google.com/group/marchmontandsciennes/web/AGM+%26+CONFERENCE+2007+-+Agenda+%26+Schedule+-+ASCC.doc
http://groups.google.com/group/marchmontandsciennes/web/AGM+2007+-+Notice+of+AGM+%26+Request+for+Motions+-+ASCC.doc

Police Open Day


Please find attached an invitation to an open day at Gayfield Sq Police Statio. Please feel free to attend.

Could you also pass this on to anyone you think may be interested.

Thanks

PC 2915A Graeme Reid

Tuesday, 25 September 2007

Merging the New Zone 8 into Zone S1

As you may know there are some pretty major changes planned to Zones 7 and 8 (Alastair blogged about it below). The report is on available here: http://cpol.edinburgh.gov.uk/getdoc_ext.asp?DocId=101907
Now, the proposed boundary changes are quite significant, making a long, thin, smaller zone 8 between the Meadows and S1.

I've talked to a (very) few people and consensus seems to be that it would be much better for that new little zone 8 (not the new 8A) to be merged into S1.
Susie Agnew and I made a presentation on your behalf to propose this to the council this morning. The suggestion seemed well received. There will be further consultation about this. But, while there wasn't time to canvas many people before the meeting, it is important to check that our suggestion meets with general approval.

Please, so that we know we are proposing the right thing, leave a comment on the blog stating if you are for or against merging zone 8 into S1.

Friday, 21 September 2007

First steps to change controlled parking zones (7, 8 and S1)

Readers may be interested in this item on Cameron Rose's newsblog...

http://cameronrose.blogspot.com/2007/09/proposed-parking-zone-amendments.html


looks like this is just a first step towards a change but initial comments requested by 25 Sep (yes really soon!).

What do folk feel?


alastair

Wednesday, 19 September 2007

Consultation on Better Health, Better Care

NHS Lothian has been asked to circulate information on the Scottish
Government's consultation entitled Better Health Better Care, in order
that as many people as possible have the opportunity to feed in their
views. The consultation closes on 12 November 2007,

Attached is the newsletter about the Consultation. The full discussion
document can be obtained from the Scottish Government website
www.scotland.gov.uk/betterhealthbettercare and clicking on Better
Health Better Care - a discussion document.

Would it be possible for you to circulate this email and information to
all of you Community Councils? If you have any questions, please come
back to me.
Regards
Sarah

Sarah Sinclair
Head of Patient Focus and Public Involvement NHS Lothian Deaconess House
148 Pleasance
Edinburgh
EH8 9RS

0131 536 9064

The document is here:
http://groups.google.com/group/marchmontandsciennes/web/Better+Health+Better+care+Newsletter.pdf

Thursday, 13 September 2007

Edinburgh Partnership e News Issue 7

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/attachments/internet/council/partnerships/community_planning/11Sep07_newsletter_Sep2007_issue%207.pdf

Big Blockade

1. Free Mordachai Vanunu
We are now encouraging support for 2 petitions urging freedom for Mordachai Vanunu
One to the UK Parliament: which you may already have signed
and a new one to the Scottish Parliament:
2. Building for the Big Blockade on October 1st...........
We hope to be in attendance at as many events as possible to give publicity to the Edinburgh Bus to Faslane. If you know of any events we could go to, please tell us.
We will be holding a stall on Saturday 22nd from 11 to 1pm outside St Johns (corner of Princes Street and Lothian Road. We hope to sign up many folk! Please come along and help, for a bit, if you can.
WE ARE BRINGING OUR OCTOBER GROUP MEETING FORWARD ONE WEEK: IT WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY 24th September and will be combined with a Blockade training.
7.30 pm at the Peace and Justice Centre, (under) St Johns Church, corner Princes Street and Lothian Road (note that the Turning the Tide workshop will be held during the daytime: reminder at the end of the e-mail)
3. .....and Planning the Future
There will also be a meeting on Monday October 8th (same time and place). This will be held under the banner of Scotlands For Peace and will concentrate on the demonstration called for November 3rd
in peace
Edinburghcnd
Turning the Tide/Quaker Peace and Social Witness workshop

Challenging Oppression
* Engaging with structural and cultural injustice
* Reclaiming power
* Creating freedom and justice
* Learning to exercise power differently

A training to empower people working for social change:
Introducing the practical tools and analysis of active nonviolence to provide creative solutions to the challenges of life.

Central Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2JL

Monday, 24th September 2007, 10.30am - 5.15am

£20/£10 (concessions), further discounts available on request

For bookings and further details please contact: Turning the Tide,
Friends House, 173 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BJ
Sophie - sophier@quaker.org.uk sophier@quaker.org.uk> Tel: 020 7663 1064
Steve - stevew@quaker

Meadows Blog

There is a new blog, just about the Meadows at http://www.meadowsblog.com/

Draft Statement of licensing policy under Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005, adopted by Licensing Board 3 September 2007

This draft licensing policy was adopted by the City of Edinburgh Licensing Board on 3 September 2007. The board would welcome comments from any person or organisation during the seven week period up to 26 October 2007. Please send them to : licensing@edinburgh.gov.uk'

Shared Use Parking Update

Dear Councillor McInnes

Thank you for your email.

As part of the Parking Strategy Revue this section have been asked to investigate the introduction of "shared use" parking bays within the Peripheral Area parking zones. Warrender Park Terrace will be considered at this time. A report on this matter will shortly be submitted to the TIE Committee.

Yours sincerely
John Richmond


----------------
From: Mark McInnes
Sent: 06 September 2007 14:22
To: John Richmond
Subject: FW: Report to TIE Committee





----------------
From: Mark McInnes
Sent: 06 September 2007 14:18
To: John Richmond
Subject: FW: Report to TIE Committee


John

Are there any plans for further visitor spaces at the West End of Warrender Park Terrace? The residents feel there are too few.

Thanks,

Mark

Councillor Mark McInnes
Meadows / Morningside Ward

Saturday, 8 September 2007

Agenda for MSCC Meeting on 12th September 2007

AGENDA


The next meeting of the Community Council will be held

On WEDNESDAY 12 September 2007 at 7.30pm in

St Catherine’s Argyle Church Community Hall, Grange Road

All who live or work or are active in the area are welcome.

Hearing loop available.


  1. Sederunt and Apologies.
  2. Minutes of Meeting held 15 August 2007.
  3. Matters Arising.
  4. Police Report.
  5. Gillespie School building update.
  6. Neighbourhood Partnership Report.
  7. How to involve the community.
  8. Improvement of website.
  9. Meadows Festival Report.
  10. Roads and Traffic.
  11. Planning and Licensing issues.
  12. Any Other Business.
  13. Next Meeting Wednesday 10 October 2007.



Come to


The Meeting of the Marchmont & Sciennes Community Council

On

Wednesday 12 September 2007 at 7.30pm

In

St Catherine’s Argyle Church Community Hall

Grange Road



Do you live or work, or have an interest in Marchmont & Sciennes? Are you concerned about local issues ?


Come and discuss how you can be involved in the local community and help to improve our neighbourhood.


Hear the latest report of the neighbourhood partnership scheme instigated by the City Council to involve local people in the organisation of their area.



Plus information on other local interests.



All who live, work or are active in the area are welcome.

Hearing loop available.


Friday, 7 September 2007

Former Odeon Cinema

PUBLIC CONSULTATION ABOUT THE FORMER ODEON CINEMA IN CLERK STREET

1. An exhibition of the latest proposals will be held in the South Side Community Centre, 117 Nicholson Street, from Monday 10 September until Friday 14 September, during normal opening hours.
2. A public ‘drop-in’ information session to meet the project team will be held on Thursday 13 September, from6.30pm until 9pm, in Room GP1 of the Centre.

Colin Christison
Secretary
Southside Community Council
Nelson Hall
5 Spittalfield Crescent
Edinburgh
EH8 9QZ

Thursday, 6 September 2007

Visitors Parking Permits

Alison Johnstone has been chasing visitors parking permits for us. Here's where things are:

From: Brian Butler
Sent: 31 August 2007 10:34
To: Alison Johnstone
Subject: FW: VISITORS PARKING PERMITS - ZONES 7 & 8 (AJ/L84-07/AG)

Dear Councillor Johnstone
Please accept my apologies for the delay in confirming timescales for the above work. Unfortunately, the manager responsible for this section has been absent from work for some weeks now, and we have not been able to agree a workplan as we had hoped.
However, we anticipate that it will take around a year from now to bring the Traffic Regulation Orders in the pre-existing zones 1-8 in line with those for the new zones. We would then intend to roll-out the new features such as visitors permits on a zone-by-zone basis. It's too early to predict the order in which we'll do this, although it is highly likely that zones 7 and 8 will have a high priority.
These works - consolidating the orders and rolling out the changes - will be the subject of future reports to the Council.
I trust that you will find this satisfactory. However, please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries.
Best regards
Brian


From: Brian Butler
Sent: 09 July 2007 16:52
To: Alison Johnstone
Cc: Brian Torrance
Subject: RE: VISITORS PARKING PERMITS - ZONES 7 & 8 (AJ/L84-07/AG)

Dear Councillor Johnstone
You may know that the Council approved a parking strategy in 2006. As part of this strategy we are committed to introducing visitors' permits throughout the original controlled parking zones (1 to 8). The priority assigned to this work is 'high', and our aim is to have completed it in the short term (0-3 years).
Unfortunately, current resource commitments related to completing the roll-out of the controlled parking zone and dealing with any resultant problems are such that we have been unable to progress this work. We are currently devising a workload plan for the remainder of this financial year, and I would expect to have determined an approximate timescale within the next 2 or 3 weeks.
I will update you as soon as the picture becomes clearer. Please feel free to contact me If you have any further queries in the meantime.
Best regards
Brian Butler
Interim Transport Services Manager
The City of Edinburgh Council
City Chambers
High Street
Edinburgh
EH1 1YJ

Tel: 0131 469 3775
Fax: 0131 469 3730
e-mail: brian.butler@edinburgh.gov.uk


From: Anne Goldstein On Behalf Of Alison Johnstone
Sent: 05 July 2007 10:27
To: Brian Butler
Subject: VISITORS PARKING PERMITS - ZONES 7 & 8 (AJ/L84-07/AG)
Importance: High

Good morning Brian
I have been contacted by my constituents regarding the above matter. They inform me they have been waiting some time for visitor parking permits and I wonder if you could let me know when residents living in Zones 7 and 8 can expect to receive these permits.
I look forward to receiving your response.
Regards.
Councillor Alison Johnstone
Green Group

Monday, 3 September 2007

Neighbourhood Partnerships Agenda

Aye up,

Our Neighbourhood Partnership is meeting in public for the first time on the 10th. Here is the agenda:

Local books